Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Lesson from Smeagol

For most of you who know me, you know that The Lord of the Rings trilogy is my favorite 3 movies.  So I think it's only proper that I launch my first post with a lesson that I've recently learned from Smeagol--or rather, re-learned.  It starts with a conversation...

Gollum vs. Smeagol


Gollum:  We wants it.  We needs it.  Must have the Precious.  They stole it from us.  Sneaky little hobbitses.  Wicked, tricksy, false!
Smeagol:  No.  Not Master…
Gollum:  Yes, precious.  False!  They will cheat you, hurt you, lie...
Smeagol:  Master’s my friend.
Gollum:  You don’t have any friends.  Nobody likes you.
Smeagol:  I’m not listening.  I’m not listening.
Gollum:  You’re a liar and a thief.
Smeagol:  No.
Gollum:  Murderer.
Smeagol:  Go away.
Gollum:  Go away!  Hahahahaha!  
Smeagol:  I hate you.  I hate you.
Gollum:  Where would u be without me?  GollumGollumI saved us.  It was me.  We survived because of me!
Smeagol:  Not anymore.
Gollum:  What did you say?
Smeagol:   Master looks after us now.  We don’t need you.
Gollum:  What?
Smeagol:  Leave now and never come back.
Gollum:  No!
Smeagol:  Leave now and never come back!
Gollum:  Argh!!!!
Smeagol:  Leave.  NOW.  And NEVER come back!  *Smeagol looks around uncertainly*  We told him to go away and away he goes precious!  Gone, gone gone!  Smeagol is freeeeeee!!!

This conversation reminds me of the following verse from James 4:7 which says: "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."  As a Christian, we ask God to be lord over our lives and when we repent, we're forgiven of our sins.  But so many times, I find the devil whispering in my ear and bringing up my past sins and telling me that I'm alone.  This voice of condemnation binds me and brings me to a place of despair and hopelessness.  Amidst all this it's so hard to remember that I'm not a slave to sin anymore and that I have a new Master now--one who loves me unconditionally, one who sets me free from bondage.  The Bible clearly says that if we submit ourselves to God and resist the devil, that the devil will flee from us.  This is illustrated by Smeagol's conversation with Gollum.  However, it almost seems too easy though doesn't it?  All we have to do is tell the devil to go away?  Really?  But it's true.  We have a choice.  We can either listen to that whispering voice or we can choose to keep our eyes on God instead of on our past and on our circumstances because while everything around us changes, God is unchanging.  It is through our submission to God's authority over our lives that we gain the power to resist the devil.  I don't need to be afraid of submitting myself to God's will because He is always faithful.  Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
And last but not least, I think it's worth noting the joy Smeagol experiences when he realizes that he's finally free.  He's so happy that he starts jumping up and down while dancing in circles.  It's time I started dancing in circles too.

No comments:

Post a Comment